Neck Length Short Scale / Regular Scale ?

HappyTom

Neck Length Short Scale / Regular Scale ?

Post by HappyTom » Thu May 03, 2007 12:13 pm

what fretboard length from end to end is short scale and what length would be regular? I think my bass neck is short scale..

Thanks! :)

Arjen

Post by Arjen » Thu May 03, 2007 2:36 pm

34" is a regular scale lenght. 32" or 32.5" would be shortscale if I'm correct.

But that's the length measured from nut to the bridgesaddle.

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Thu May 03, 2007 5:30 pm

30" = Short scale
32" = or anything between 30' and 34' is Medium scale
34" = Standard (Fender) scale, aka Long Scale
35" or 36" = Extra Long scale, aka Super Long

The shorter the scale length, the less string tension to derive a particular pitch. Strings designed/wound specifically for short scale attempt to compensate for the lower tension.

In general the lower pitched strings on short and medium scale instruments feel flabby to me (IMHO).

Using Standard scale strings on a short scale instrument is a prescription for flab.

When deciding on strings for your instrument it is important to know it's dimensions. The length from the ball end to (through) the nut is critical. For taper core strings be sure that the taper occurs at a location that will not interfere with the bridge/saddles.

The wound, or wrap, length varies from maker to maker and there are no guarantee of proper fitment.

The most usual problem is finding E and B strings for Extra Long scale axes. Always check the fit of the big strings (if possible) before laying down your cash on a new set of strings.

If you find that an individual string winding,wrap does not quite pass through the nut (but is close) shaving some silk where it passes through the nut may get you the extra 1/8 or 1/4 inch you need.
One good note makes my day.