A Newbie from France

FunkDaFied

A Newbie from France

Post by FunkDaFied » Thu May 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Hello,

I'm a french bass player. I came from a french Forum dedicate to the bass 6 strings an more...

I plays Ibanez BTB 556, Cort A5 with neck thru body.... 8)

My future bass will be a six string fretless bass guitar.

Maybe a Tune WB6 WN with piezzo pick-up's or a Status headless.

I'm in quest :roll:

Nice to meet you 8)

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu May 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi Funk, nice to meet you, hey do yourself a favour and check out the CD give away thread, take my word you will win if you are next to answer the 4 questions. :wink:

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Fri May 11, 2007 3:23 am

Hi man, welcome! I play the Tune WB6, and I can tell you it's a great bass,give it a try!

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Fri May 11, 2007 4:58 am

Hi Funk, nice to meet you, hey do yourself a favour and check out the CD give away thread, take my word you will win if you are next to answer the 4 questions. :wink:
Hi Jason,
Nice to meet you :D
Thank you very much for the give away :D , I've just answered the questions :D

Hi man, welcome! I play the Tune WB6, and I can tell you it's a great bass,give it a try!
Hi Nick,
Nice to meet you :D
I'm very pleased to see a Tune user :D
I have a lot of questions about this bass :D
Can you tell me more about this bass? How it's sounds with the piezzo pick-up's?...
If you have some samples from your bass, I'll be so glad :D

Thank you for the welcome :D
Last edited by FunkDaFied on Fri May 11, 2007 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Fri May 11, 2007 5:58 am

Well, it's a very particular instrument, the lower notes sound very "woody", while on the higher register it's very similar to Alain Caron's sound, it has also a little bit of Jimmy Haslip's sound but maybe I hear it like that because I listen a lot to those players...it's a great bass, but it took a while before I get used to it, you've got to experiment a lot with your amp to get the sound you like;that said I love the palissander fingerboard and the piezo is just a blast! The only thing that made me fight a little bit is that missing the "usual" pickups I had to check my right hand position but it didn't took too long.
I use this bass to play classic jazz, acoustics, ballads, fusion...one night I used it also to play disco music 70!
I've just recorded a ballad for a local singer and I've used the Tune bass on it, as soon as it's mixed I'll let you know and I'll post it somewhere!

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 am

I see you have good musical influences :D

Maybe you've already heard "Tribecca" from Uzeb . The album is "Live in Bracknell"

It's the sweetest song I've heard from Uzeb. It's groovy. 8)
You should listen to it :wink:
The only thing that made me fight a little bit is that missing the "usual" pickups I had to check my right hand position but it didn't took too long.
Maybe you can put a inch holder like a Precision Bass :roll:

Is the sound homogeneous on all the neck? Even if you said the register is quite different? I' m wondering :roll:

I know that it's a fretless unlined, but on the top of the neck. How is it?

Sorry :oops: I have so many questions :lol:
I've just recorded a ballad for a local singer and I've used the Tune bass on it, as soon as it's mixed I'll let you know and I'll post it somewhere!
Thank you very much Nick :D

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Fri May 11, 2007 8:19 am

Well, I've got many Uzeb albums, I only miss a couple of them and unfortunately one is "live in Bracknell", but I will check it, 'cause I already have a couple of tunes from it on "live in Europe" ("bull's nostril blues" fretless solo is amazing!)...I listen to hundreds of players but Caron may be my favorite above all, I like also french bass player Bunny Brunel, I think he's amazing! Anyway ,talking about the Tune bass, the sound is homogeneous along the neck , and the sound registers are a bit different but it's always the same bass, don't worry! My fingerboard is lined with dots on top of the neck, I don't know if you have seen some Tune WB with unlined fretboards...I still don't trust myself in using unlined ones!
I was thinking about putting on it a sort of ramp like Gary Willis or the precision, I'll see...

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Fri May 11, 2007 2:55 pm

Well, I've got many Uzeb albums, I only miss a couple of them and unfortunately one is "live in Bracknell", but I will check it, 'cause I already have a couple of tunes from it on "live in Europe" ("bull's nostril blues" fretless solo is amazing!)...
In my opinion "Live in Bracknell" was one of the first album of Uzeb and maybe the better. I think it's groovy just because there's an other musician: the keyboard player Stephane Montanaro.
There's some good songs: Slinky, Blues Nostrill Blues, Le waiter Report and Tribecca written by Stephane Montanaro. It's so Funky (you will see 8) )

I listen to hundreds of players but Caron may be my favorite above all, I like also french bass player Bunny Brunel, I think he's amazing!
Yeah Caron is very musical on fretless. 8)
As I said before, you have good influences in music and bass players :D
I like Bunny Brunel, Jeff Berlin, Gary Willis, Anthony Jackson, Victor Bailey, Jaco Pastorius, Yves Carbone, Victor Wooten, Verdine White , Nathan East ,Marcus Miller ,Larry Graham, John Pattitucci ,Alphonso Johnson , The Brothers Johnson , Stanley Clarke, Mattew Garrison, and many more... :roll:
Anyway ,talking about the Tune bass, the sound is homogeneous along the neck , and the sound registers are a bit different but it's always the same bass, don't worry! My fingerboard is lined with dots on top of the neck, I don't know if you have seen some Tune WB with unlined fretboards...I still don't trust myself in using unlined ones!
Thank you for the precisions :D
I saw Tune WB with unlined fretboard. But I'm wondering if it's real Tune, because on the official site they said:
The photographs and endorsements on the Korean website were taken from our website without our permission.
This company is in no way affiliated with the original TUNE company from Japan.
An authentic TUNE bass comes with a warranty.
If you plan to purchase a TUNE bass be sure to check that the warranty is issued from Japan.
I was thinking about putting on it a sort of ramp like Gary Willis or the precision, I'll see...
I think the ramp could give you more speed, it' a good idea :)
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri May 11, 2007 7:02 pm

No problem Funk :D Your welcome.

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Sun May 13, 2007 4:29 pm

Well FunkDaFied, I see that you like some amzing players, I listen to all the guys you've mentioned, even if I don't know very well Yves Carbone , could you tell me something about him?

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Sun May 13, 2007 7:21 pm

No problem Funk :D Your welcome.
:D

Well FunkDaFied, I see that you like some amzing players, I listen to all the guys you've mentioned, even if I don't know very well Yves Carbone , could you tell me something about him?
He's a ERB bass player. He plays on Noguera Basses (a french luthier) and Jerzy Drozd basses.
He plays 6,8,10,12 and now 14 strings bass.

He played on French TV show France 3 and differents gigs...

If you want to hear more from him, he has a web site: http://www.yvescarbonne.com/ and a place in my space: http://www.myspace.com/yvescarbonne

All songs are good :D But take a look on Holly Spirit 8)

He made an album with Mickael Manring and Dominique Di Piazza :D

http://www.carbonne-dipiazza-manring.com/

Very good album 8)

I forgot to talk about Dominique Di Piazza (a very talented bass player) He played with John Mac Laughling.
If you have the time, take a look on the song "Que Alegria" it's so amazing :D

There's an amazing bass player that I know. His name is Jerome Wolf.
He's very talented you should listen to his music.

Here's the links from his "myspace": http://www.myspace.com/jeromewolf

And the link from his web site: http://www.jeromewolf.com/

He made the french Forum dedicate to the bass 6 strings an ERB basses where I came from...

Jeff Lorber is one of my first influences.
Listen to these album:
Wizzard Island
Water Sign
It's a Fact
Lift Off

or if you just want to have a look there's : The definitive collection (a compilation from some albums)

There's so many influences, it's too long to remember all :lol:

P.S: They talk about Yves Carbone on this web site :D
:arrow: http://www.fretlessbass.com/CarbonneYve ... ew-01.html

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Mon May 14, 2007 2:34 am

yeah, I know DiPiazza, I got a bootleg recording with John McLaughlin, he's a monster...I thought he was playing a fretless bass, but I read that he only plays fretted instruments, so the sound it's all in his fingers!
I will check Yves Carbone, I red the interview here in the site and I want to hear more about him...

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Mon May 14, 2007 6:18 am

I will ask him. He goes sometimes on the web site where I come from.
Maybe you can ask him your question on his web site 8)
You will have all answer you want :D