STRINGS

bassike

STRINGS

Post by bassike » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 am

does anybody uses ken smith strings?
does the taper core make a difference or is it just to lower the action?
any comments.

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Ken Smith strings are a fine product, I've used them and they seem very similar to D'Addario or LaBella to me.

Re: Taper Core, Taper Wound, a.k.a. exposed core strings

I've used taper cores and prefer conventionally wound strings.

The theory is that taper core strings enable better pivot point oscillation at the saddle. Theoretically, the windings on a fully wound string impede, or resist, the energy imparted into the string and diminish it's response at the point where it contacts the saddle.

Often only the larger E B A strings are taper wound.

These strings are reputed to provide better harmonics, overtones, sustain, and fundamentals.

Personally, I have a problem with taper cores because setup is radically different. Not only the bridge height, but also intonating. Exposed core strings are very different when it comes to intonating your bass.

As far as tone goes, maybe on fretted bass it makes sense, but for fretless, I don't see the advantage.

On one of my basses I had to order a custom (higher) saddle for the taper wound B string because setup was so different between the taper wound vs. the smaller conventional strings in this set.

I'm sure that there are many players who would play nothing but taper wounds. It really has to do with your personal taste in tone/timbre, then the mechanical considerations (setup).

If your bass has individually adjustable height on each saddle, then exposed core strings will probably install OK on your instrument. If you have a "bar" type bridge (Alembic), there may be a problem regarding string height between the exposed core strings and the rest of the set.

Another setup problem is the shape of the string groove cut into each bridge saddle. These are often shaped to fit the diameter of the OEM strings. Taper wound, exposed core strings will be laying in a groove that was intended for a MUCH larger diameter. The taper core string will still work well, but it seems sloppy to me for a small diameter core to be set into a much larger groove.
One good note makes my day.

bassike

Post by bassike » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks a lot for the info
It was very useful cause I didn’t know about the existence of exposed core strings until some one made a comment on one of my basses, saying that I should use ken smith strings cause the action was to high.

It is a fretted bass by the way that I do not use very often cause the action was too high.
I wanted to lower the bridge but since I use the fretless all the time, I never did the setup for this fretted bass.

Then when I read your reply, the part where you explain about the string groove cut, and it made me wonder so I took a look of my bass and the cut is it like a (V) so I guess the exposed cores will be fine.

I know we all have to try lots of strings cause what it is good for me, might not work for other people, but it is good to learn for someone else’s experiences.
Thank you again

I’ll let you know how those strings work for me.

Virgilio