buzz on 13th fret

jaci

buzz on 13th fret

Post by jaci » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:49 am

Hi just lowered the bridge very slightly on my new jaco vintage, and the action is great now, except theres a buzz on the 13th, and not the nice mwah buzz...any thanks for any help

JV

Post by JV » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:51 pm

I have a fretless Jazz and had a similar issue. When it was about 18 months old I took it to a tech who planed the neck. I don't know if it was just the neck settling down but I had 1 or 2 bumps just above the 12th fret. Plays like a dream now.

RichmanRush

Post by RichmanRush » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:13 pm

I get the same thing on my fretless with the G-string at the 13 or 14th fret. I wonder if that's what is often referred to as a 'dead' spot on the fretboards. Every plays fine except that one little spot where it buzzes instead of growls. I'm able to mask it by cutting some highs in the EQ, but that doesn't help the lack of sustain in the actual note.

It's something I've learned to live with for now, but I think the only other option is as JV mentioned and that's to have a pro take a look at the neck and work out the kinks.

JV

Post by JV » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:52 am

A dead spot is when the note has no sustain and fades very quickly, just like putting a sponge on the string. If it’s buzzing it’s more likely to be a small bump or ridge on the fretboard. Try running your fingers over the affected area to see if you feel anything. If you look along the fretboard do you see any slight shadows? Maybe the truss rod needs to be loosened slightly.

A good tech should be able to sort out a small buzz for you without too much problem. A dead spot can be trickier though when I had the fretboard on my fretless jazz planed to get rid of the 13th fret buzz it all but removed the classic 7th fret buzz it had too.

Rando

Post by Rando » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:40 am

Hold the bass in playing position. Hold a string down at the first and 15th "fret" positions. Then look midway between at the gap under the string. Most fretless basses will play well with .010 to .030" relief.

Always look at the relief first, before you adjust the bridge height.

Once you get it to play and feel like you want, then go back and check intonation.
I wasn't like this when I got here.

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:29 am

Had a similar matter with my Tune electro-acoustic, it disappeared when I decided to raise a bit the action...but then one must renounce to a low action to avoid any bad buzz?? That said on my "regular" fretless I like much more a higher action, but on the acoustic is better to lower it a bit...

random toxy

Buzz

Post by random toxy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:53 pm

I have a similar problem. The G-string on my fretless Jazz has no sustain compared to the other strings. This is my 1st fretless so I am pretty much in the dark. You guys have already given me a lot to look at. Is this a common problem? What should I check out 1st? Love this site, by the way. - D

JV

Re: Buzz

Post by JV » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:10 am

random toxy wrote:I have a similar problem. The G-string on my fretless Jazz has no sustain compared to the other strings. This is my 1st fretless so I am pretty much in the dark. You guys have already given me a lot to look at. Is this a common problem? What should I check out 1st? Love this site, by the way. - D
Get the neck relief right first. If the fingerboard is flat and true, I had mine plained last year, then a as little relief as possible will help. I just changed the strings on my fretless Jazz and had to make a small truss rod adjustment so now the neck is just about flat. Plays great with no dead spot on the G string, and I did have when I bought the bass new.