WHAT R SOME GOOD ACTIVE PICK UPS?

bassmaned

WHAT R SOME GOOD ACTIVE PICK UPS?

Post by bassmaned » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:05 pm

I was looking at the steve bailey signature pu's, but i need active and i believe those r not. I wish i could hear some before i purchase. And no one gave me any ideas on 6 string strings? Don't know if i should go flat. thanks

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi,

In my opinion all Pick Ups still remain passive. The difference is the electronic (passive or active)
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass

bassmaned

Post by bassmaned » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Yeah but the bass i have doesnt have a battery, so i am limited as to what i can get.

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:31 am

Why don't you buy a SansAmp Bass Driver Di programmable.

You will get more output and a better sound.
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass

bassmaned

Post by bassmaned » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:17 pm

Anyone else have any opinions? And does anyone else recomend that product?

RichmanRush

Post by RichmanRush » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:37 pm

It sort of depends on the sound you are after. Me, I prefer round wound strings to get that growly, Jaco-like tone. But round wound strings can eat up your fretboard over time. Flat wound strings won't be as bright sounding, a bit warmer and rounder perhaps? You can get a nice upright bass sound with flat wounds, and they won't tear up your fretboard.

Pick ups, strings, amps etc are all different for everyone. If there is a bassist you like, try researching some of their equipment and see if a store has it to try out. Or email the company, they might even have some help for you.

I do use a SansAmp Para Driver DI as well for my direct sound going to our PA at band practice. I mainly use it to add some warmth/gain to my direct signal and to be able to EQ it a little from where I play. At $200 (USD) or so, this might not be for everyone.

Last but not least, welcome to fretlessbass.com and welcome to the world of fretless bass! :) :)