ebonal neck

slickneck

ebonal neck

Post by slickneck » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:49 pm

has anyone had any experience with the Eboal Mighty Mite fingerboards? I have a '77 fender fretless (maple neck) and my barbaric playing style really chews up the fingerboard. I understand the ebonal necks are more durable, but I'd hate to sacrifice too much tonal response. Anyone out there have some enlightment on the subject?

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:31 pm

I installed a Mighty Mite ebonel P neck on a Fender P/MM clone and do not like it.

The problem is not the ebonel, rather the neck itself, it has a deadish sound and seems to mute things. I got what I paid for.

I replaced it with a Warmoth P neck w/eboney fingerboard and the sound is very much improved. Much nicer piece of wood. I don't use round wound strings on my wood fingerboards. Ground wounds or flats do it for me.

To answer you question regarding string wear. Yes, ebonel will greatly reduce string rutting. There are better quality ebonel necks out there. Conklin makes a nice GT series (Asian) bass that comes with ebonel. They sond very good considering the cost. If you have more $$$ Modulus makes some very nice fretless basses with Phonolic fingerboards. Zon makes a nice artificial fingerboard too.

There are many alternatives out there.
One good note makes my day.

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:58 pm

There's also status or schack carbon neck. It alows durability, sound and playability.
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass