How Many Basses Do We Need?

slawie

Post by slawie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:25 am

I have a 1977 Jazz bass (fretted) with a hipshot detuner
badass bridge with Alembic pickups
and I also have a 1975 Alembic series 1 fretless
Both are 4 string.

These two are enough for me as either has covered
all the varieties of bands and styles of music I have played.

From Country Punk to Jazz

slawie

Nofretz6

Post by Nofretz6 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:08 am

slawie wrote:I have a 1977 Jazz bass (fretted) with a hipshot detuner
badass bridge with Alembic pickups
and I also have a 1975 Alembic series 1 fretless
Both are 4 string.

These two are enough for me as either has covered
all the varieties of bands and styles of music I have played.

From Country Punk to Jazz

slawie
Country Punk? :?

slawie

Post by slawie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 pm

Country Punk! Yeeehaah - f@ckin

Our guitarist had his mohawk poking up through his Stetson.

Imagine Dolly Parton and Johnny Rotten having kids!?!?!?

We would punk up country classics Rawhide,
Connie Smiths "The hurtin's all (not) over" etc etc....

Man I wish I still had the promo pictures.

Check out Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowpunk

slawie

Nofretz6

Post by Nofretz6 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 am

Man, I remember skating to many of those bands back in the 80's-90's. Good times......good times.

TheMightyWoot

Post by TheMightyWoot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:25 pm

The short answer to your question of how many basses we need:
Just one more.
WOOT

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:27 am

Yes Sir, that's a good answer. In fact I have my eye on another one right now.
One good note makes my day.

TheMightyWoot

Post by TheMightyWoot » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Yep, its hard to resist tempation when you see one that you love. I currently have six basses, but I'm sure that I will want another one before too long. I recently finished my first custom build/resurrection, and submitted it to the gallery, hopefully it will show up soon.
WOOT

Dejan

Post by Dejan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:27 am

From my perspective, being a 'covers' bass player, MusicMan Bongo is all I need - it covers everything I play and between my two bands, only style we don't do is hip hop. I already had a lovely fretless, otherwise a 2nd fretless Bongo would be on the wall now. 4-Band EQ, two humbackers, plus piezo, I am still discovering all the tones hidden in there

kell_boy

Post by kell_boy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:34 pm

I now have 4 basses,
My 2nd ever bass, a dean edge 4 string
Dean edge 6 string
Musicman stingray 2007 (pride and joy!)
And my 1st fretless I got a week ago A johnson 5 string currently (as bought) set with a high C

I have an argument ender when your mum/wife/gf says you have to many guitars. My mum years ago when I lived with her wanted me to downsize (I got down to 2 and now look) she said "you cant play them all at once" I said "you dont wear all your shoes and handbags at once and yet you still insist you need dozens of them.." after a few seconds (of her knowing what my exact response would be!) "yes but they all have different uses and purposes"

yes mum, just how guitars have different styles and purposes!

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:56 pm

EXACTAMUNDO - May as well argue that a mother has too many children. Just sell a couple of them to the highest bidder.

Perish the thought!!
One good note makes my day.

RichmanRush

Post by RichmanRush » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:01 am

Of course, I think if we all had more money, we could surround ourselves in instruments.

I, however, am probably done purchasing items for a long while. After acquiring my custom Carvin, I'm pretty much set aside from a dream bass or two that I could never afford.

I would REALLY like to upgrade some of mine or make some of my current instruments 'backups' to some nicer newer ones. Just need that winning lotto ticket ;)

Joe61

Post by Joe61 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:27 am

Wow! Y'all have some fine axes! At the moment, I have only one bass-S101 JHB74. 4-string fretted, 2 soapbar humbuckers, high-mass bridge, 24-fret neck, alder body with 5-bolt assymetrical neck attachment. And above all, it didn't cost much! I'm not in financial condition to invest in a high-end bass, so finding a bass that does several things well was a necessity. I'm hoping to find a fretless this year that will at least get me started on that path and not cost a bundle. Not criticizing buying high-end instruments at all-one must acquire what one needs to get the job done! I'm not at a place in my development as a bassist where I feel qualified to invest that way, even if I could. So...it looks like a pair of 4-strings, one fretless, one fretted is what I aspire to at the moment. Cheers!

ArchonicBass

Post by ArchonicBass » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:19 pm

4 basses would be perfect for me, a fretless 6 and 7 string and a fretted 6 and 7 string.
But the perfect bass for me would be the Warwick Thumb NT7 Fretless.

iriegnome

Post by iriegnome » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:17 pm

I currently have 22 basses. I have played every single one of them on stage at some point. I am actually in the market for several more. I have them because I want them and can afford to buy them. I play only 1 bass currently. A 5 string. Been in the same band for 14 years. I have my option to play any bass I own whenever I need to. Since I am comfortable with every one of them, I use them when I feel like it. I don't have just one pair of shoes, I have several. Not much different in theory. I have 3 vehicles. I don't always drive just one car. I don't always play just one bass.
"Mongo Only pawn in game of life"