Any fretless expert luthiers out there?

troymc18

Any fretless expert luthiers out there?

Post by troymc18 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:21 am

I would like to have fret lines added to my board and then have it epoxied. I know Thor has a great reputation but he also has a 2 year waiting list. Is there anyone else recommended? I'm in Nova Scotia Canada. Closer the better, but quality of work is more important to me than shipping cost.

I love my G&L's

SC

Re: Any fretless expert luthiers out there?

Post by SC » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:29 pm

troymc18 wrote:I would like to have fret lines added to my board and then have it epoxied. I know Thor has a great reputation but he also has a 2 year waiting list. Is there anyone else recommended? I'm in Nova Scotia Canada. Closer the better, but quality of work is more important to me than shipping cost.

do not do this. I know thor's work is great. jaco did his but there are draw backs to epoxy. I did one myself.

a clanky noise for one can take away from you having a neck you really want. Tony Franklin warned me about this and he was right. I'm glad I did it on a bass I really didn't care about before investing in a real peice.

Get a neck if you're not happy with it. Musikraft or Warmoth are real good.

fretlines? that's a preference thing. I have basses w/both. I enjoy them both but the one without is my main fretless. fly blind. it's liberating...

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:49 pm

the possible clank noise, is that from having epoxy filled frets or just an an epoxy coated board. can you go into that a little more please.

also, i've been told you can get white fretlines by adding a little primer to the epoxy but i haven't tried it myself.

SC

Post by SC » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:04 pm

redbeardred wrote:the possible clank noise, is that from having epoxy filled frets or just an an epoxy coated board. can you go into that a little more please.

also, i've been told you can get white fretlines by adding a little primer to the epoxy but i haven't tried it myself.
the epoxy coated board can give you a slappy sound.

If you're going to fill fret lines then a two part works fine. I've done this myself.