the saga of my mape neck continues--india ink with epoxy?

redbeardred

the saga of my mape neck continues--india ink with epoxy?

Post by redbeardred » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:27 pm

i'm taking the frets out today, eventually i'll get all the nesscary parts and want to try a piezo bridge but i had an ideal for fretlines. what if i put a couple of drops of black india ink in the epoxy?

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:07 pm

so i started taking some frets out and had another ideal. it's a hybrid so i left the first 7 frets in. assuming the india ink dosn't 'effect' the epoxy that worked out really nice.

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:39 pm

just finshed sanding and i got to say the taste of maple saw dust is better then rosewood. waiting on some kneck screws and a passive harness before i can put it togeather. i'm gonna try 500k pots to bring out the brightness of the maple fingerboard and really give it a different personality then my other basses. also i sawed off the body part of the pickguard cause the natrual wood finnish looks so nice.

the wobbly tuners and sheet metal bridge will just have to work till i get the money togeather.

the india ink/epoxy fretlines turned out great.

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:20 am

order the harness and i'm cutting out the tone pot, i never turn down the tone any ways...

laid down a thick coat of epoxy, then checked the board and SC warned me about THE CLANK...
see--

http://fretlessbass.com/viewtopic.php?t=176

unless there's any problems i'm gonna use the bass saturday for a gosple/ country jam with some old time pickers that lasted 2 1/2 hours last time. the maple is my lightest bass so cross fingers.

the next 'reply' will be when the job is done and i'll put her up in the gallery.

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:04 am

IT'S ALIVE!!!

so much Mwah i'm adding some letters. she mwwwaaaahs.

the bridge is the main issue. i'd used one of the saddle screws for another bass so i used a two liter coke cap with a couple of holes drilled in to make a temp saddle...but the action is really high. that will work till i can drop in a badass.

the fretted/fretless hybrid opens up some new possiblities...
i can make a groove like
:lol: booomp beemp buump mwaahhmawah boomp mwah - - boomp beeep! buump mwaahhmawh boomp mwah...

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:52 am

took the bass out to church and then a coffee house jam where a few guys got to play her. lot of compliments on it's sounds and alot 'damn my hand hurts. why's the action so high?!?'

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:39 am

ok, i put a good bridge on it and a vintage style pickup cover...also i changed out the cheap nut for graphite one. BIG news is i'm going down to a low B string.

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Good job.

Show us some pictures :)
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass