Percy Jones video

NickBass

Percy Jones video

Post by NickBass » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:20 am

Hi to all! Has anybody seen Percy Jones video "bass explorations of Percy Jones"? I think it could be interesting (it's done by one of the greatest fretless players ever!), but I'd like to know your opinions...I'd like to order it, where can I find it (percy's site? amazon?...)?
Thanks

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:56 pm

youtube! it came right up.

haven't watched it yet but there's some 'instructional' stuff with garry willis--"progressive bassics" that i got a strong opinion on. he turns his amp way up and playes real light... not my thing but it works for him.

the john entwistle tape is a trip cause he's tapping like a nordic god. thunder fingers indeed.

fleas tape has river phoenix doing the interview.

the mingus documentary 'triumph of the underdog' is very entertaining and there's some great closeups of his right hand tech.

there a really bad 'blue grass' tape where the guy is playing an unmiked upright in a storage shed at an airport. you can hear the planes coming and going. it was the worst.

the dvd that comes with rufus reids evolving bassist has the best sound, and lets you print of staff sheets and some jazz tunes on your computer.

tony franklin's tape---i learned sliding harmonics, the bass line to a talking heads song but he dressed up like the mad hatter--or maybe the bunny from alice in wonderland. that part was unforgivable.

here's a frettless player on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-FiDwX82Eg&feature=fvw

i ask! why isn't ralph armstrong one of the players on this site?

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:02 am

link to part one of the percy jones tape...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwcPon5FzPg

i've only watch two minutes but was really impressed by his concentration.

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks, I watched the clip, now I want to buy it!!!
You're right, Ralph Armstrong should get more appreciation, he's really a killer player!

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:21 pm

from my very quick search--you can get the sheet music but percy jones's video isn't availible anymore. on youtube it's split up into seven parts--the first six parts are 9+ minutes and seven is 6 minutes with end credits.

you can run the headphone out of your computer to your bass amp and it does sound pretty good. that how listen to motown.

ok everybody. when your computer is hooked up to your bass amp; test it out. here is your test video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYmCS41UYW8