String question

ultimabass

String question

Post by ultimabass » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 am

I want to change my Ibanez SR305's current strings (D'Addario XL flat Chromes) to a set of Smith Master Series steel rounds (super bright), but I don't know if my bass's fingerboard can handle the strings.

I've heard steel rounds give you the best mwah, and I want to use this package but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. My bass's fingerboard is made of maple/rosewood with ebonol on top. I don't know if it's a good idea to use these strings. Please help!

RichmanRush

Post by RichmanRush » Mon May 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Well, the more experienced guys around here can probably offer better advise than I, but if the mwah sound is what you want, then go for it!

I think the general theory is that rounds will eat away the fretboard over time. How much and how quick depends on a lot of factors:

Your play style (aggressive and with a hard touch vs light and soft touch)
Steel rounds vs Nickel/nickel plated rounds
How often you play*
Fretboard wood and/or coating or treatment
Slapping, tapping etc I think do more damage

*It was recommended to me to practice on a fretted and save the fretless for the gigs or a 'once in a while' practice.

Probably more, again, hopefully the more experienced guys will chime in. But I say if you want that growl "mwah" go for it. If you begin to notice the fretboard wearing out at an alarming rate, switch back to flats or coated strings. Or the more expensive route is to get the fretboard treated/planned.

good luck!