I DID IT!

redbeardred

I DID IT!

Post by redbeardred » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59 am

ok, so i took the frettless jazz kneck-painted the shaft black and shaped a fingerboard from mariner epoxy.

the body was the p bass i took the neck from for my 'main bass'--i routed a pickup hole right up by the neck for some of that vintage gibson vibe, put a deep cigar box on the back for acoustics and then paper mached a comic to make it look cool.
shazam by jeff smith and i will never paper mache another insturment in my life.

at the last minute i put the bridge back as far as i could to give it a 36" scale.

with the cigar box she can hook on to the edge of a table or sit on my leg. or lay down so i can play it like an upright or a lap steel.

don't have the pickup in place but the action is as high as it goes and she's loud enough to practice and even rocks the whole basement on the low notes. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE DOG HOUSE. hell, it's got a little dog house.

i'm only gonna use 3 flat wound strings. my fretten pinky got messed up before i ever touched a bass so i've always liked 3 strings.

I can now recommend mariner's epoxy to you guys. :x