trying to get that upright sound.

redbeardred

trying to get that upright sound.

Post by redbeardred » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:31 pm

i've personally agonized with this problem for some time but can only tackle it with the tools in hand.

so i took my jazz neck and gave it a new mariner epoxy finger board over the rosewood which was sanded down too much. of coures the mariner was a nod to joco and i used the whole two chamber bottle-it went on really nice. you can sand a bunch get it really flat. however if you're going for an athentic upright then i say don't sand too much. leave some funkness on that neck and it's more like a student or hillbilly's bass. the mariner epoxy is battle ship grey...after some failed attempts at drawing with pastels the neck was spray painted black.

the body is from mexican fender P, cigar acostic chamber almost 4 inches deep or little dog house. the body was then mached with a Captain Marvle comic and coated 3 times with flooring polyurethane.

at myspace.com/thesuits33 i just put up 'three strings and no tuner' if you want to hear the bass.

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:54 pm

note also that high action is gonna raise the accostic fundamentals while lowering the playability of the bass. so experment with flatwounds, raising the action and foam mutes if you want more URB from an electric.

when i break another labella black tape i'll go back to 4 stings and the sadwosky flats for more wood tones.