Removing fret lines

MJRGF

Removing fret lines

Post by MJRGF » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:54 am

I play a fretless 5 string Lakland Joe osbourne skyline, passive, with fret lines. I want to get rid of the fret lines without screwing up the neck or the tone. I just don't need the lines anymore. Even a way to permanently cover them up would be great to know, but I do use roundwound strings. It may be a fretless but I still like to bend the strings so I don't want a temporary solution.

Thanks in advance

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:12 pm

You didn't mention the fingerboard material on your bass, is it Maple, Rosewood, Ebony, or other? Coated or uncoated?

You have several options:

Do it yourself, which means you need for first acquire some of the skills and tools of a luthier.

Take it to a luthier for replacement of the fret lines with a non-contrasting material.

Take it to a luthier for replacement of the entire fingerboard.

Purchase a replacement neck from Lakland.

Purchase a different bass.

Have it epoxy coated and color coated at the same time.

Do nothing and get accustomed to fretlines.

Personally, I would do nothing, get another neck, or another bass. You can do the modification yourself but certain skills and special tools are needed. If your skills are not up you can make a mistake such as inserting strips of a material that is too thick or expands with glue that may alter the curvature of the entire neck. It is possible that improper methods could introduce irregular waves in the neck due to uneven expansion.

I hope this helps.
One good note makes my day.

MJRGF

Post by MJRGF » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:22 pm

That helps a lot actually. It's a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard. Uncoated. I'm not willing to risk any of the downsides of doing it myself. I needed the lines when i started but I rarely even look at the neck anymore when I play. I just love the look of the clean neck. I'll look into your suggestions. Appreciate the answer.
Thanks.

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:25 pm

You said that you want a permanent solution. This suggestion is not permanent but might be of interest to other people considering elimination of fretlines.

On my fretless FrankenFender I covered the lines with a fine black pen. This bass has a Modulus graphite neck and lined phenolic fingerboard. I do have to refresh it once in a while but it suffices to eliminate the fretline distraction.

I did leave partial lines visible under the G string above the 12th position.

On your bass you would have to find a pen that is a close color match to the fingerboard.

If your fingerboard has a finish his method is non-destructive and reversible as the ink lies on top of the finish and may be wiped off with an ink solvent. If your fingerboard does not have a finish (or finish is worn) the ink may penetrate the wood fibres in the lines and be permanent. Removal would require sanding the entire fingerboard.
One good note makes my day.

Randy Ryan

Post by Randy Ryan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:15 pm

I feel your disdain for the fretlines. They really hinder your performance unless you NEVER look at the neck which has to happen every now and then and oh, doesn't it just distract the crap out of you when you realize that you aren't right on the line? Lame! It bothered me bad enough that I got a new bass without lines. What happened was that I played my first live show with the "defretted" bass (I call it that because that is what it seems like instead of a fretless) and as soon as the light guy went to town, "HOLY CRAP! Where are my fretlines?!" It was a very tough show and I immediately got rid of that bass and got one with a solid ebony fingerboard. Much better and you really rely on you ears instead of your eyes. Don't get me wrong, I still look at my neck from time to time when shifting and what not, but it is not a distraction to see those stupid lines.

I would just sell that bass and get another one without lines.