guitarron strings.

redbeardred

guitarron strings.

Post by redbeardred » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:35 am

warning: this is not fretless.
note: the guitarron is a fretless bass. if you don't know what a guitarron is or how it sounds then look it up.

anyways, i got an acostic bass guitar. hohner korean made, now i did think about making it frettless but judged the neck to be too thin to risk.
i put guitarron strings on it. the guitarron's scale is less then 30 inches but my acostic is only 32. String one (E) just reached the tuning peg. String 2 proved too short. the third string (A) made it with enough slack to go around the peg once. these strings are very much like round wounds but less uniform in their manufacturing.

now heres the twist. the next three strings are the same diameters as their steel counter parts but nylon. mine are red white and blue and look something like stretched gummy worms.

i'll approxmate diameters and try to explain better.

E 95mm steel
A 55mm steel
D 95mm nylon
G 55mm nylon

after some expermintaion i've settled on muting the steel strings. they're louder with more treble but a little foam balances em out. the nylons are really really cool. they're voice is a deeper then anything i've encounterd from a D & G. if i had to define a 'deeper voice' play an open D next to D at the 10th fret on the E string. the nylons also make some pretty cool sounds up the neck.

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:19 am

the nylons must be cheaper to make cause they're a hell of a lot longer then the steels. i got selmer's from some people who just wrote the nicest things on the envolope.

http://www.ilovemusica.com/shop.php?cat=6

keep in mind, you might not want the steels if you try them. as long as you promise not to throw out perfectly good steel guitarron strings and you have a pezio check these out.