more books

redbeardred

more books

Post by redbeardred » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

was at the universtiy music library yesterday getting music for our christmas program and went looking for the elusive Franz Simandl method book...it must of been checked out but i did grab 'the fundamentals of double bass playing' by barry green; and 'the contemporary contrabass' by bertam turetzky.

(it has been my experince that knowledge gained can be applied to the fretted, fretless and upright)

the barry green book does go into more detail for bowing/arco then rufus reid or ray brown and has some examples form 'classic' peices. however it does not have browns's blues, runs and drops or reid's insight into walking but seems to be an exceptable text for some one starting out.

the contemporary contrabass is advanced and i'm reading it rather then skipping to what intrest me. the writing is academic rather the layman's and the author takes more time to grind his axe against composers then seems necessary. the chapters i'm looking forward to are 5. Vocal and Speech Sounds and 6. harmonics. i'll let you know what i think when i'm done.