Hello all!

Johnclark4127

Hello all!

Post by Johnclark4127 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:31 pm

Howdy, my name is Shane, and I just picked up my first fretless a few weeks ago. (One of a kind Breedlove electric 4 string prototype) I've been playing bass for around 9 years, and so far, I am loving the fretless! I had a couple questions for all those here who know more than I....The bass came with roundwounds (not sure what kind). I know that over time roundwounds will put grooves in the fingerboard. I've been checking out Rotosounds pressure wound strings as well as their flats. First question: Will pressure wound strings still cause grooves in the board over time? And second question: What is the tension like for a set of Rotosound flats? I've never experimented much with flats, so I don't know much about them. I've been playing on Rotosound RS 66's for around 6 years, and I love them, so I figure I'll give Rotosound first shot when it comes to strings for my fretless.

Thanks guys!
Shane[/img]

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:47 am

Re: Pressure wound fingerboard rutting. It depends on the string maker. DeAddario ground wounds are almost as rough as round wounds and I no longer use them. GHS Brite Flats on the other hand are much smoother.

Rotosound RS77 flat wound strings are great!

I have them installed on a Veillette MK-II 6str fretless that has a similar acoustic vibe to your Breedlove. The tension is firm and the response is quick. Tone is full and complex.

I keep coming back to these strings after trying almost everything out there.

GHS Brite Flats are good too.

Welcome to FretlessBass.com
One good note makes my day.

redbeardred

Post by redbeardred » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 am

i like the tension of rotosound's flat black nylons. everybody's who picked it up likes em but sawdusky's are the best sounding flats i've used.

i little wear and tear shouldn't put you off to rounds dude. boards can be sanded. epoxys can be applied. fender's can have their frets ripped out.

what kind of sound do you like?

Johnclark4127

Post by Johnclark4127 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:30 pm

Thanks guys!

FretLessSince68, thanks for the info. I'll be ordering a set of rotosound flats shortly. As for the accoustic vibe, I guess I should have clarified a bit more. The bass is actually a solid body electric with a p-j pickup combo. It's a prototype Breedlove built and never mass produced. The sound is pretty similar to a frettless p-bass, if not a touch warmer.

redbeardred, I did some research on rotosound's nylon flats, and I'm thinking that they aren't really what I'm looking for. I'd like to keep a more modern tone. As far as what kind of sound I like, it's hard for me to say....for my fretted, I like bright and punchy with a full bottom end. (Think John Entwistle Live at Leeds) But as far as fretless, I haven't decided what I really like. For now I'd like to keep it pretty bright and clear sounding. Basicly I need to decide if I'm going to be playing my fretless for everything and draging out the fretted when the song calls for it, or the other way around. If I'm only going to play the fretless every once in a while, then I may very well set it up to get more of an upright tone. I've heard that the Rotosound RS77's are fairly bright for flats, so I think I'll try them first.

Thanks guys!
Shane