Tube vs. Solid-State

Randy Ryan

Tube vs. Solid-State

Post by Randy Ryan » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 am

Greetings!
I am in the market for a new amp and I am going to get an Ampeg. I used to be the proud (but tired) owner of the all-tube SVT-2 (not pro) and it sounded great but weighed over 90lbs! The other drawback was that it only had a volume knob without a separate gain knob so you really had to crank it loud to get any "grind" out of it. Of course by then, the whole band would be whining about "Turn it down!", blah, blah, "I just soiled myself", blah, blah.

Anyway, I sold that and got a Mesa Boogie Walkabout. Great amp and very light! Had to sell it to pay some bills, though. So, now I am wanting another amp and I love the Ampeg tone so I thought that I would go hybrid and try out the SVT-3 Pro. I did some research and thought that it was interesting how you could change the tube plate voltage to tailor your sound. The odd thing, though, is that both the manual and the video on Ampeg's website both agree that turning the knob all the way clockwise (Tube Gain is MAXED) will give you more of a SOLID-STATE sound. So, I figured that I would be leaving the knob all the way off because I want that tube sound, right?

So, I go the local Guitar Center to try out the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and I hook up a Fender Precision and start noodling around with the Tube Gain all the way off. Sounded, "okay". Not really blowing me away. So then I crank it all the way up and "VOILA" the amp comes alive and starts to sing! What gives? I am confused or is Ampeg? To me, the difference in tone was night-and-day. It sounded MUCH more musical with the knob cranked. Does this mean that I should get a B2RE and that I am really a "solid-state guy"? I remember trying one years ago and being surprised at how good it sounded when paired with a 10" cab and that it didn't sound all that different than my SVT-2!

I know that there is much debate over tubes vs. solid state and each has its pros and cons but I go with my EARS and what sounds good to ME. All I can say is that the SVT-3 Pro sounded MUCH better (with my personal settings) with the TUBE Gain knob cranked.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Obviously, the best answer would be to "A/B" the two amps but Guitar Center doesn't have the B2RE.

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Sorry,

I still have the same amp since 20 years Crate B 160 XLEV 8)

No Tube.

A Mesa Boogie Walkabout is a good amp. I'd like to try one.

Did you get a new amp?
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass