Fretless Custom Build questions for fretlesssince68.

Ivan M

Fretless Custom Build questions for fretlesssince68.

Post by Ivan M » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Ok so i am having my very first FRETLESS custom built, this builder is very well known and has built one other bass for me that i love. My first question is where should i get the side markers put on the bass? on the place where the actual frets would be? or where the actual markers on all basses go? what will be easier for me in terms of first learning, i know eventually you SHOULD/MUST PLAY by hearing the fretless, this bass will be unlined as i know its harder to start this way but i love that clean look and want to go unlined from the get go, all other particulars have been discussed by me and the builder, any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I ask you fretlesssince68 because i know you have a wealth of information and you are the fretless guru, again thanks in advance.

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:38 am

Regarding Side Markers - There is a lengthy post on this site about side marker placement. Please search "Side Markers" for additional information.

For a lined bass they should be placed exactly where the frets would be if they existed (on the position). In between (ala fretted) is tolerable for lined fretless but not preferred.

On an unlined fretless bass, the side markers should be placed exactly where the frets would be if they existed. Markers between positions (ala fretted) on an unlined fretless will screw you up royally.

Markers at the 11th and 12th positions is a special case, here there should be one marker at each of these positions. Placing markers on each side of the 12th position is a mistake. You will find it very difficult to find the 11th and 13th positions if you have two 12th position side markers neither of which is exactly on the position.
One good note makes my day.

Ivan M

Post by Ivan M » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:22 am

Thanks fretlesssince68, so markers on my unlined will go where the actual frets would be. And I did not even think about the 12th fret location situation you have brought up an excellent and probably over looked point by many beginner fretless players such as myself, I knew you were a wealth a knowledge and help. I may ask my builder to mark the 12th fret with perhaps a different colored marker so that I know i am at the 12th fret. If you have any other suggestion besides color feel free to give me input. Again thanks a million for your tremendous help.

Rando

Post by Rando » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Another idea I used on a bass I defretted is to have a white marker at each old fret line, and the original markers that were actually between fretlines still there. Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

I'd agree that you would want the 12th fret position to stand out, regardless of what you end up doing.
I wasn't like this when I got here.

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:43 pm

On a dark fingerboard such as Ebony, I prefer the 12th, and all other side position markers to be white. You will know which is the 12th position, it is obvious once you become familiar with your instrument. On a very light fingerboard such as Maple, A contrasting material such as black should work well.

If you do use a different color material for the 12th position I would suggest that it not be a dark color such as red (except for a Maple fingerboard). Visibility in low-light conditions comes in handy.

The reason I like white (or contrasting) is for visibility in dark conditions such as when the light person reduces lighting for a mood. I also apply a small drop of photo luminescent paint over each side marker so they glow in the dark. This "glow paint" requires a white under-layer for adequate brightness. This paint glows Blue/Green but is nearly clear in full light. Other colors also available.
One good note makes my day.