new to board and fretless!

kell_boy

new to board and fretless!

Post by kell_boy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:49 am

New to the forum, so hi guys! Just wanted to share with you my experience playing a fretless bass which i picked up for the 1st time a week ago and get some feeback advice share insights yada yada!

So basically ive been playing fretted basses for 10 years on and off now, just playing in a few rock bands etc, and thought after a cheap ebay deal, would give fretless ago! Id been losing a bit of interest and 'plateauing' in the normal bass and thought it would spark some interest again and it has.

Ill be honest, I should know better music theory and revise my scales (i did used to but what I dont put into practice I easily forget) I dont generally struggle to write bass lines as I can use my ear to hear the key of a song without knowing too much theory!

So been playing the fretless bass to try to improve my musical ear and its done wonders in just a week, what would normally take me ages to figure out is taking half the time, being working out palladinos bass lines to some paul young and loving it, no idea why I find it easier all of a sudden (tho being able to slide to a pitch to match the song helps alot).

Only problem is with my cheap fretless bass is
1. the lines are to faint
2. the side dots sit in the middle of the fret not on the line.

This makes playing it in even slightly dim lighting a complete pain in the backside, Ive thought about scratching off the dots and trying to move them or make my own dots, but just wondering if you could give me any advice?

I was also wondering how many of you get lost by lines without dots, Im trying to figure out if id be more suited to a bass with lines, or with just side dots (much prefer the look of no lines but intonation is always important). Only problem is I cant really try either type out as music stores near me dont stock fretless basses! So bit of a conundrum!

Sorry for the wall of text! :)

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Welcome to FretlessBass kell_boy!

I find that faint lines are preferable to obvious ones. Once you get your side markers in the proper positions you will find that the lines are less important.

Regarding your question about relocating side dots. This is a very common problem, fretless bass manufacturers often make their fretless version using the same layout jigs for the markers as the fretted version. A mistake.

This subject has already been discussed here on FretlessBass.com - search for "markers".

Yes, you can cover the existing side markers with tiny dots of paint similar to your neck color and paint on new ones in the proper location. It has been done and is documented on this site.

As long as your left hand thumb technique is proper you don't have to worry about wearing the paint off.

The markers on the surface of your fingerboard are also modifiable but it is harder to do a neat job because they are larger. It really depends upon whether they bother you. Try the new side position markers first and see if that is enough.

Relocating side markers using paint is reversible so damaging your bass is not an issue. Just scrap off the paint to restore.
One good note makes my day.

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Post deleted due to double entry
One good note makes my day.

kell_boy

Post by kell_boy » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:05 am

Hey thanks for the reply fretlessSince68! Well the great thing is im a spray painter so have various useful tools at work to modify things, before touching anything with paint I just used a white marking ink pen to draw just half a centremetre of the lines in at the E string side of the fret board, its dried and isnt rubbing off from finger or string whhich is a massive help! When I get some time I have good white paint here that Ill paint side dots in the correct place, and use black paint to blot out the old ones.

Ill search for those threads later, thanks :)