New guy here...

kopio

New guy here...

Post by kopio » Mon May 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Hey Guys,

New fretless player checking in here. I am a long time musician, short time bass player. Started playing the alto sax about 25 years ago. Eventually I got turned on to David Sanborn...which really got me into Marcus Miller. After that I got into more fusion/funk jazz and fell in love with Weather Report. Needless to say, I'm a fairly bonafide Jaco nut! The descent into the bassment continued from there with exposure to guys like Victor Bailey, Stanley Clarke, Brian Bromberg and Victor Wooten. I finally had a buddy (Bass player...go figure) who had an extra axe. He was 100% fretless, but he had a nice old Dean Edge European Custom fretted bass he sold me for a good deal, along with a Peavy TNT 115 amp. Bought the bass about 5 years ago I guess. I'm completely self taught on bass, but I read and write music quite well (was a music education major first time through college).

So I started itching for a fretless really bad a while back. But I'm married, kids, mortgage and all that, so I had to do it on the cheap. I kept my eye on GC and ended up getting a Squier Vintage Modified Fretless (alá Jaco) with EMGHZ pickups! I scored it for $149.99!! Just showed up in the mail today (yes, I bought it sight unseen) and I am loving it. So far the fretless thing doesn't seem too awfully different than the fretted thing. I have very strong relative pitch, so staying in tone doesn't seem too tough right now. Then again....I've only had it for a day.

Anyhow...just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. If you have any suggestions as far as method books, dvd's or suggested listening I am always open to suggestions. I've been hitting the board here pretty hard looking into setup, and have found some good answers to tweak my setup and make things sound a little better.

Hope to see you around..

Warmest Regards,

-Matt (aka kopio)

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Welcome to Fretless Bass kopio!

Your choice for a 1st fretless (Fender Squire Modified) is one highly regarded by other players, especially at that price. The Ebonal fingerboard is reported to mwah very nicely.

My only advice for you at this time is to keep the horn player instincts under your hat and develop another separate musical personality for the bass. As a former horn player you are probably aware that other musicians generally hate a bassist who plays like an Alto player.

When the time is right, such as after you get the nod for a solo, let that horn player out to play and you will be a well loved, and happy, musician.
One good note makes my day.

kopio

Post by kopio » Fri May 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey FretLessSince68,

Yeah....I'm really digging the Squire. As far as being a horn player.....I only wish I could play my bass like I play my horn!

Right now though, I'm just focusing on playing it like a bass!

Out of curiosity....do you have any recommended resources for learning fretless, or even bass in general. I've just sort of been stumbling along. I do read music, but I am still learning where everything is on my neck etc....

In other words....I read, but I'm a beginner with really good ears and I've been relying on that more than actually reading.

Anyhow...thanks for your input.

Warmest Regards,

-Matt (aka kopio)

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:39 pm

There are many good methods these days.
Steve Bailey has a good fretless book. Ed Friedland has several good books.

You can't go wrong with scales.

The best way to learn bass is to get in band and play.

I would say that the approach you are currently on is tried and true. One of my students is a crossover baritone sax player and can't get away from reading so is lacking in the ear and improvisation area.

Some people seem to think that bass is not an improvisational instrument but I strongly disagree. I improvise inside my bass lines with interesting ornamentation and fills. As long as you maintain the function of the bass player at first priority and don't over do the ornamentation one can have lots of fun playing bass.

Remember... Strong notes on strong beats, and weak notes on weak beats.
One good note makes my day.