Maximum Mwahhhh

b0rn2w0rsh1p

Maximum Mwahhhh

Post by b0rn2w0rsh1p » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:21 pm

G'Day All...

I have 2 pieces of my next project, maybe 3 if I decide to add the piezo bridge I have.

A nice looking 5-piece body, mahogany core, maple stringers, and 'hog wings. Currently routed for classic positioned J-bass single coils, I could route one or the other (both might be too close) for a soapbar or MM-style humbucker. Thinking passive, maybe with a mid-boost (I have an active Dearmond bass, and a Guild guitar, and am not swayed to the 9v side - maybe one day I'll try 18v). ':)'

A Kramer aluminum neck with phenolic fretboard. I'm not sure yet (I will contact the seller to try to see for sure) if it was ever installed or had frets installed, but it was cut for frets (sorry, I need the cheat lines still) so I'll be filling them in, I hope to find my box of antique ivory from an old piano, for that Ebony and Ivory look! ':shock:'

So what can I do to reach for ultimate Mwahhhh as I put this beast together? From what I've been reading, the more coats and harder coatings on the fingerboard have a significant affect (or is it effect - I confuse those). Bone nut or brass? I will continue reading up on strings, but it seems like roundwounds are the way to go... any thoughts you want to share here? Of course pickups will affect the sound, and I also know that passive humbuckers will exert more magnetic force on the string shortening the vibration by drawing the string towards the magnet as opposed to active J-bass Pups - how much does that affect to sound of an 8va slide on the E-string?

I know this information is scattered throughout the message board, but if you have an opinion or favorite posting about "the sound", please reply! I have this great idea for a song and it needs the sound - not to mention the other great expressiveness '8)' you can only get without wires crossing your strings.

Thanks in advance ':wink:'
Guido - yes,really-it's on my license

brett750

Post by brett750 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Supa Low action= Mwaaah
"Learn the Melody"- Jaco