FS-Modulus Genesis 5 Fretless

iriegnome

FS-Modulus Genesis 5 Fretless

Post by iriegnome » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:21 pm

1999 Modulus Genesis 5 lined fretless w/original modulus gigbag. This bass is awesome to play. Great low action. Mwah love.. I just can't get used to a 5'er fretless. $1500 shipped
Image[/img]
"Mongo Only pawn in game of life"

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Congratulations on the new family member! Modulus makes great instruments, my Q5 (modified) is a tone monster and favorite fretless bass.

I too had problems getting used to 5 string basses. I found myself aiming for a G and hitting the D. This went on for about two years until I finally got over being anchored to the E string.

The key is to not think of your lowest string as being an E. The E is the E, each string is unique and none is your anchor.

Another technique tip that may help is to adopt "Floating Thumb". With the four string bass most players use the E string not only as a mental anchor but also as a thumb rest. You need to avoid this. Instead rest your thumb over the lower un-played strings as a mute. Move it across the strings as needed to give your plucking fingers (assuming you are playing with fingers) the best angle for plucking.

I had no such problem when moving to the six and seven string basses because I had "got over" the E string anchor thing.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to play it on stage. That is the test of fire that will burn in new, and hopefully, better habits.
One good note makes my day.