Fretless or Fretted - Which Gives Greater Joy?

FretLessSince68

Fretless or Fretted - Which Gives Greater Joy?

Post by FretLessSince68 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

What is your opinion. Fretless or Fretted. Which gives greater joy?

Feel free to go off topic and describe other facets of fretless vs. fretted.

I'm also interested to know your view of the continued viability of Fretless Bass considering that Pino Paladino, and others, have dropped the instrument as their signature sound in order to remain employed.

Thus the question... Is Fretless Bass still important in todays' music scene?

Thanks
One good note makes my day.

MTDSlick

Post by MTDSlick » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:57 am

I use both and still love both. I use the fretless whenever possible and always look forward to songs where I could use it and lose myself in that sound. I know Pino plays fretted most of the time, but I really loved watching him play fretless with Peter Gabriel at the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame while Tony Levin was out of town. He was playing a blue Lakland with flats and it was great to hear that signature Pino fretless sound again. I do think that fretless is still massively underrated and I wish it was used more nowadays. I love my fretless and will NEVER part with it!

Joe61

Post by Joe61 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 am

After having had nearly a year now to get acquainted and acclimated to my fretless, I don't love my fretted bass any less, but have a greater appreciation for the extra effort it takes with ear training and greater precision on the fingerboard to properly play a fretless. That being said, I believe the fretless is an indispensable tool in the bassist's arsenal-it has a greater effect on the atmosphere of whatever piece of music it is used in than a fretted bass. I believe the fretless represents the depths and heights that are achieveable in music-of any genre. My 2 cents.

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Hey! Thanks for your input. Much appreciated and great insight.
One good note makes my day.