Does using a "Ramp" help your playing or tone?

FretLessSince68

Does using a "Ramp" help your playing or tone?

Post by FretLessSince68 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Some players like to use a ramp between the pickups ala Gary Willis.
This link...
http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/ba ... eramp.html
points into his site explaining his reasons for using it.

What are your experiences and/or opinions?
One good note makes my day.

FretLessSince68

Re: Does using a "Ramp" help your playing or tone?

Post by FretLessSince68 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:27 pm

OK, it's been a while and no input from other fretless players so here is my take on the ramp.

Having a ramp in place forces one to use consistent plucking/stroke with the right hand by limiting the amount of force you can use. This results in a more even output and consistent tone.

I choose to not use the ramp because being limited to a certain dynamic range limits my ability to express music and use dynamics.

If you have not yet attained full control of your right hand technique then a ramp might be a very valuable addition but I would think that the ramp player would also need a volume control to provide some boost during those moments when I would normally just play a bit harder.

If your attack is very strong it seems reasonable to presume that a ramp would help to "rein-in" aggressive plucking and unwanted noise that goes with it.

In a recording environment a ramp would help the recording engineer by enabling the use of LESS compression thus better preserving your tone and nuance. This is perhaps the biggest advantage of a ramp in my opinion.

Let's hear your take on "The Ramp".
One good note makes my day.