Neck adjustments????

mick monger

Neck adjustments????

Post by mick monger » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:21 pm

Hello - thanks for the cool site, everyone! Playing for 30 years, I JUST got a Fretless, and I'm pumped! Any advice on neck adjustment? Flat? Relief? HELP! (thanks)
Mickey Hill

FretLessSince68

Post by FretLessSince68 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:10 am

It depends on what sound you are seeking, and what action you are comfortable with.

If you want Mwah, then a nearly straight (some like it as straight as possible) fingerboard is important. Also if it's Mwah you want, low action and roundwound strings help a lot.

The consensus among many players is that the Mwah sound comes from friction between a plucked string and fingerboard. If the angle of departure between the string and fingerboard is high (equates to high action and lots of relief) then you probably will not get the Mwah sound. What you will get with higher action is a more vintage, solid sound. When this angle is low, a longer length of the string contacts the fingerboard (friction) yielding a more complex sound we call Mwah.

Your action preferances also are important. Since you have been playing a long time I imagine that you would rather adjust the instrument to your style than alter your established technique.

Setup is a personal issue, I can say that I have all my fretless basses setup as flat as possible with low action. I prefer standard tension strings.

Some players are very enthusiastic about the low tension Thomastic strings.

If you have a wood fingerboard and use roundwound strings, fingerboard wear will soon become an issue. Stainless Steel roundwounds cut into the wood in a very short amount of time.

There is much good information of the net regarding the actual neck adjustment technique. This is a DIY procedure provided you get good information about how to perform the adjustment. Get the proper tools for your instrument, don't force the nut if it gets hard to turn, there are ways to get a neck to cooperate without forcing it. Personally, I prefer to adjust the neck with the strings slack, others adjust while under tension. Just don't force the nut.

Remember, relief adjustment is just one part of setup. Read up on proper setup procedure.

Good luck on finding your ideal neck adjustment, it took me years.
Last edited by FretLessSince68 on Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One good note makes my day.

mick monger

Thanks!

Post by mick monger » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:10 am

Thanks for the information......good stuff, I can use. Through the years, I've done some "adjusting".....one neck casualty - the first one I "helped". I've gotten better! It's rewarding to get a good setup, with my basses I get plenty of chances to try. Hot/cold dry/humid keeps things moving. You gave me what I need - thanks!
Mickey Hill

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun May 13, 2007 3:53 pm

Same here 68, flat as possible, low action, as low as I can possibly go and standard 45 Rotosound rounds.

Just recently got an epoxy job done which also adds to the tone :D

I used to pay for set ups but I've been taking matters into my own hands lately and it's been all good so far.