Epoxy???

Jason

Epoxy???

Post by Jason » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:17 pm

I'm considering getting a hard wearing finish on my rosewood board, has any one had any experience in this at all?

I'm based in the UK and can't seem to find a luthier to do it. I've heard of HG Thor but he has a waiting list of 2 years.

The only finishes offered in the UK I can find so far are polyurethane or an acrylic type finish.

I suppose the other option is carry on using roundwounds and get the board dressed periodically.

Any thoughts guys? :D

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:20 am

Honestly I don't have all that experience, but if you want I can ask my luthier when I'll meet him in two weeks...if I get to know something interesting I'll let you know!

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:46 pm

Sure thing, thanks Nick :D

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:11 am

Ehi man, as promised I asked my luthier, and he recommends using roundwounds and periodically dress the board as you said, 'cause he too has just the "standard" factory finish...he said he would sell his mom to get a hard wearing finish of that kind!

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:20 pm

Problem solved I found a luthier who did an amazing epoxy job for me :D

Soon as I get pictures I'll post them up.

Jason

Post by Jason » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:53 am

Hi Guys, here's my custom defret and epoxy, done for me by my usual luthier:

NickBass

Post by NickBass » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:47 am

Looks like an excellent work, and it must sound amazing! it's the Geddy Lee fender, right?

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:56 am

No Nick, this is my USA Jazz. Up until recently I also had the USA Deluxe Fretless which I couldn't get along with, I think it's the "new" slimline shape and pickup positions on a Deluxe that make it feel totally different to the classic Jazz shape and design.

It's a very good custom job I'm very pleased with it :D

I've been advised not to defret the Geddy Lee as the neck is too slim and may cause tension problems when the frets are removed, which is a shame because it's a great feel on the Geddy neck.

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Sat May 12, 2007 6:49 pm

What a good job :D congrat's 8)

I was thinking about buying a bass (even if it's too dificult to aford a decent fretless), defret it and maybe put some epoxy on it.

Did your luthier put some piece of wood in the fret holes before apply the epoxy?
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat May 12, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi Funk,

Yes he did, maple was used to replace the frets, as opposed to just wood filler. Hard material is used to compensate for the tension, a soft filler would get squeezed out when the tension of the neck is increased.

Good luck in buying a bass and try the epoxy covering it's great for tone and also it's hard wearing.

FunkDaFied

Post by FunkDaFied » Sat May 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Thank you very much Jason :D

I could do that if I don't purchase a fretless bass.

Maybe buying an Ibanez SR 506 and defret it.

I'm seeking for a Tune or Status :roll:

I'll see 8)
Bassicaly yours... FunkDaFied

http://www.myspace.com/dabass

maldevenny

Where can I get the right kind of Epoxy in the UK??

Post by maldevenny » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm

I am looking for Epoxy to finish off my fretless conversion, any idea where I can get some?

Cheers

Trykon300

System Three Epoxies

Post by Trykon300 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:02 pm

I did a six string Carvin with the System Three Epoxy called "Mirror Coat". It worked great!!! I was having a lot of trouble with intonation, I'm a rookie and didn't leave any lines, so I took a plexiglas scoring tool and very lightly marked my neck where the frets are supposed to be. Standing right in front of me you can see them, but you can't from 15' away. It just looks black and polished. After 6 coats I sanded the radius with 300 grit, then wet sanded from 800 up to 3000. Then I used Turtle wax polishing compound from a local autoparts store and a microfiber cloth to finish the polish; looks like glass. It looks great and sounds even better!!
I just got my Jaco Pastorious signature in this week. The Jaco relic has the epoxied fretboard, but it's $4200. The Jaco signature is beautiful, and sounds great with the pau ferro fretboard, but I'm going to epoxy it starting tonight. You can get a small kit, enough to do 25 bass necks, for $58 with shipping.
TAKE YOUR TIME and DON'T RUSH!! Everything will be fine.