what kind of sound?

NickBass

what kind of sound?

Post by NickBass » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:15 am

I was wondering if you guys like a particular sound when you play...depending of the musical texture I like many sounds: URB-like when it's classical jazz, Caron-like when it's fusion and Palladino-like when it's pop-rock...a bass player who in my opinion has a great tone is Jimmy Haslip, his sound is very clear but full of bottom!
Any sound preferences from you guys? Have you ever been asked to get a particular soun from your bandmates?

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:43 pm

I make my own choices about my sound in a band situation, but sometimes band members may suggest different tones and that's fine, I'll consider them but still at the end of the day I make my own choices.

Particularly with fretless it's a lot to do with finding your own voice on the instrument, the way chords are phrased or the way you use finger and muting techniques. For example in my humble opinion, Percy Jones harmonic technique is totally different from Jaco's harmonic technique, which is good, you can tell instantly who is playing.

Think of the aggression in Les Claypools fretless playing then think about Michael Manring's fretless approach.

But in my sound I like new strings ringing out very little fx maybe a small amount of chorus and compression, but nothing much.
I also like using my bridge pick up to add to the growl of my sound, with just a touch of master tone.